Exams and X-Rays
Routine dental exams are important to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Additionally, they can help to avoid the financial costs associated with large treatment plans later on. The Academy of General Dentistry recommends twice yearly checkups for people of all ages. At this frequency, most problems can be caught while they remain in an early stage.
How it's done
Your dentist in Allen TX, Dr. Susan Kim, first examines your mouth visually, using dental equipment such as mouth mirrors, dental picks, and high intensity lights. She will look for cracked and decayed teeth, as well as review other important items such as:
• Medical history review: Dr. Kim will assess how any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health.
• Examination of tooth decay: Your mouth will be checked for cracked or decayed teeth.
• Oral cancer screening: The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
• Gum disease evaluation: Your gums and bone around the teeth will be checked for any evidence of periodontal disease.
• Examination of existing restorations: Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations are made sure to be in good order.
Additionally, Dr. Kim will take diagnostic x-rays to reveal any other hidden problems, especially in the areas below the gums. Bitewing x-rays are typically taken every 12 months and a panographic x-ray, which revolves around the head, is taken every 3-5 years.
If you're experiencing any dental pain and haven't visited your dentist in Allen in over six months, call Dedicated Dental today at (972) 359-1300 to schedule your visit with Dr. Kim.